Dissolution of a Civil Union in Colorado Springs
While there are few reasons today that any two people would enter into a civil union, it is still possible to do so in Colorado. Once a civil union is created, though, it is a legal relationship and can only be ended by a dissolution of a civil union—just like a divorce. One cannot just “walk away” from the civil union when the relationship is over without the likely potential for serious consequences—similar to those occurring if one tries to “walk away” from a marriage without obtaining a divorce.
The process for a civil union divorce in Colorado Springs and surrounding areas looks similar and determines the same matters as a divorce:
- Jurisdiction of the Court;
- Division of assets, including any real estate (home), business assets, vehicles, retirement accounts, bank accounts, investment accounts;
- Payment of civil union acquired debts like credit card, unpaid medical bills and loans;
- Child custody, visitation and child support issues;
- Maintenance (alimony)—the need to receive it and the ability to pay it;
- And other matters that arise in a divorce.
Just like with a divorce, the dissolution of a civil union can be done through settlement of all the issues, partial settlement of some issues, or through the Court determining matters that have not been settled in a “hearing.”
The issues a couple faces when dissolving their civil union can be complex and frustrating. Obtaining legal counsel through the choice of an attorney familiar with procedures and issues surrounding dissolutions of civil unions is important to protecting your future and your family’s well-being. At The Law Office of Jeanne M. Wilson & Associates, PC, we have the experience and ability to guide our Clients in the dissolution process of their civil union in Colorado Springs and surrounding areas. While all cases are unique and fact-specific, we always look to the ultimate goals of preserving our financial assets and minimizing harm to family and children while providing the foundation for a successful future.